It’s ridiculous how long I’ve been working on this post… I started it weeks and weeks ago.. and then I completely forgot all about it lurking around in the drafts folder… until I suddenly went.. oh crap.. didn’t I..??? Yeah you guessed it, I suddenly remembered that I had not posted it after all. How the heck could I forget?
And here we are, almost done with February. And I still haven’t given you the update on how I did with my 2015 goals! 😳
How can I make it up to you? Well I guess I could just go ahead and give you that update!
Before I do, I have a teensy-weensy disclaimer!
2015 turned out quite differently than I had anticipated. As some of you know, I had to throw in the towel at work, June 2015 for health reasons. Following that particular decision, a few things happened during the fall, things that was completely outside of my control, which unfortunately, took a toll on my health.
I know, I know.. it’s a poor excuse… But excuse or not, it is an explanation for why I completely flunked on some of my goals, as you will see below.
I did have quite few goals, and even though I flunked a lot, I did accomplish one or two…
So here it is, my (ahem) “quick” update, starting with one of the ones I actually passed 🙂
My overall goal when it comes to my house mortgage, is to pay it down as quick as possible. Every January I pay a lump sum towards the mortgage (a quick explanation of my mortgage). My goal for 2015 was to to save up NOK 60 000,- for my lump sum in January 2016. And I did it. Actually I was a ahead of schedule and had saved my yearly down payment by October. With a little extra savings in November.
I did debate paying down more than my 60 000 this January, but I decided I’d rather invest that extra money in mutual funds, as the interest rate on my mortgage is really low.
With this last payment, I’m down to 1/4th left on my mortgage, only 9 years in 🙂 Do I get a woot, woot?
I had a bunch of declutter goals. Just as in 2014 I wanted to shed an item a day. In addition to that, I had a few other “projects” like reading myself out of my bookshelf, watching myself out of my movie collection, and (the big mother of projects) photos!
My declutter goals for 2015:
- 😀 365 items – 561 items out the door – the big purges are mentioned here, here and here…
- 100 Movies – 68 movies
- 😦 Cut physical DVD series collection by 30% – I’ve only gotten rid of one series which probably amounts to all of 1%
- 34 books – 27 (I ran into too many I wanted to keep)
- 😦 Photo collection – I never had a proper goal on this as I have thousands of photos, and the idea was to – keep key photos as physical photos, scan the other ones I’d like to have access to, and get rid of the rest. – All I can say…. it IS on the list for 2016 (and 2017… and 2018… and…)
ONLY BUYING NECESSITIES
2014 was a year I focused a lot on only buying necessities ( I want, I want – I want it now!!!), and it served me so well that I continued in 2015. I had some non necessities allowances though;
- 😀 Books – buy only 10 books/magazines – I bought 6 books (4 of them e-books), no magazines
- 😀 Flowers and plants – same level of 2014 – I cut about 60% on 2014 results
- 😦 Eating out – reduce 25% on 2014 results – we have already established that this item is something we struggle with. So it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that we flunked this one completely. Here are the statistic:
- we ate out 39% more times than 2014
- average cost per meal was reduced 9,5% – resulting in
- total cost for 2015 was increased with “only” 25,9%
Even though the results are pretty bismol (with the exception of average cost per meal) there is one upside in it all.
You see, both B (my eating out partner in crime) and me stopped working early/mid 2015. B took out an early retirement + was hit by company downsizing, leaving the workforce early spring. And I, well I started the year working only 20% until I left completely in June, when I went out on 100% sick leave.
We have found out in the past, during holidays and such, that we eat out more when we are not working. In lieu of the fact that most of the year have been non working days, for us both, I’m actually surprised that we did not increase our cost by more than 25,9%. So yeah, we gotta look at the bright side of this 😉
- ❓ I can buy up to 10 non essentials throughout the year – Hmm lets see, I bought:
- 2 lamps at an antique fair – the lamps are going over my dining table (been looking the last 5 years – finally found some I think might be cool.. as soon as I change the wiring 😉 )
- 1 pair of shoes (needed a pair that can work as my one pair only for minimalist travel)
- a few Lush products to test out deodorants and shampoos in solid form (travel)
- a couple of eagle creek super light travel pouches (travel)
- 6 pieces of clothing – 4 replacing worn out items, 1 item filling a hole in my wardrobe, and 1 just because I wanted it…
- 1 frame for a poster (picture finally on the wall after years and years in a roll)
- a set of omaggio vases
Depending on how you want to count these non essentials, it’s either a flunk or pass scenario. If you look at it from a “if every single item counts separately” then, yes I bought more that 10 items. But if “each purchase count as one” (eg lush, lamps, vases..) then I guess I kinda passed? You know what? I’m leaving it to you to decide 😉
ACTIVITY AND EXERCISE
The goal for 2015 was to build up to, by the end of the year: 7 days of activity a week, with 3 of these as real workouts.
Yeah, that didn’t happen (re my disclaimer) – I did pretty good during summer with an average of 6 times a week, but I took a crashing nosedive end of August, resulting in this goal going straight out the window for the rest of the year. So yeah.. a big, big fail 😦
As always, I enjoyed my garden as much as possible. In addition I had a few other projects.. mostly helping out family and friends with little things in the house.
I did however have a bit of a larger task, helping a friend who got a new house in 2015. Picture this, a house built in 2000 with interiour like the 1970s! Yeah, non painted pine, red, orange and yucky cream/brown/puke coloured wall… and thats for starters. For her it became quite a renovation project.. so B and me tried to help out as much as my health would allow. You know things like; painting, drawing up the new kitchen, delivering doors to be spray painted, changing door handles, cutting moldings to fit new wardrobes, more painting, installing the wifi, hanging curtain rods, “create” (rather adjust) a couple of ikea kitchen units to fit the space… you know.. all the little things that comes up during move in and renovation 😉 It turned out to be a fun and very social summer as she had lot and lots of friends helping.. oh yeah.. and there was lots and lots of great food, do I need to say more 😉
All in all, it was a great summer season!
This concludes my “How did I do on my 2015 goals”!
About time, you might say! All I can say is.. Yeah, I know 😳
Christmas this year was a quiet affair, just mum, B and me. For some reason we ended up with a casual approach to it all, not the typical dress up versions we normally have. I have to admit, I like the casual approach much better. Had I known in advance, I could have packed half of what I brought, clothing wise that is 😉
I’ve been home for about a day from my UK trip, and I’m all unpacked, the washing is done, I’ve finished the book I got for Christmas, and it’s time to get back into the declutter game 😉
You might remember, my plan was to shed 210 items this month. I didn’t quite get there before I left on my trip. I did have a few things that was all ready to go, but since I never got around to writing about them….
So I figured, this is as good a time as any to catch up on those items, and while I’m at it, why don’t’ I just throw a couple of more items into the mix to see if I actually might make it to my 210?
Here we go – 80 items out-the-door:
- 28 DVD’s (18 movies and 1 DVD series) – part of my “Watch a movie program“
- 7 books – part of my “Read myself out of a book shelf” program
- 1 worn out CD case
- 4 flower pots
- 3 flower pot trays
- 1 T-shirt
- 1 long sleeved top
- 1 pair of socks
- 21 items of miscellaneous stuff
- 13 used notebooks and user guides
I believe this will be my last purge for 2015, considering new years is just around the corner 😉
Did I manage my 210 for the month of December? Well, why don’t you check this out;
I’d call that a PASS, wouldn’t you?
Lately I’ve been struggling with a bit of a cold/flu/chest infection.. or whatever the heck it is… all I know is that it entails a lot of sniffles, headaches, coughs, fever and no energy. Oh yeah.. and no voice! What’s up with that! 😉
The one redeeming factor? It’s a perfect excuse to do nothing but hang out in front of the telly 😉
In the beginning of the year I posted about how one of my goals for the year was to attack my movies/series collection. My goal was to get rid off 100 Movies (half of my collection) and cut my physical DVD series collection by 30% (which is quite a bit as I have a few series).
I figured that, as I’m sitting here like a zombie anyway, this is as perfect time as any, to attack that particular goal 😉
So guess what? The last few days I’ve been hanging out, in front of the telly, with my hot beverages and blankets, all tucked in, having a Dark Angel series marathon 🙂
I’m already through season 1, and depending on how things goes the next few days, I should be done with season 2 soon.. which means that, by the end of the week, there might be 12 DVD’s leaving the premises.
A bit sad to let them go.. but I’ve seen the series a bundle of times, and I need to cut down somewhere, so it’s decided, I’m no longer keeping the Dark Angel series as part of my collection.
My movie collection is a mess!
I have loads of movies (about 200), and even more series collections (bunch of Star Trek’s and Stargate’s + a “zillion” more)
I’m not sure if you remember, but last year I told you I had started up going through my movie collection. Just like I’m working my way reading myself out of my bookshelves, I started a watching myself out of my movie collection task.
The intention was to go through my movies one after another, watch it one more time, then decide which one of these categories it falls into:
- keep – great movie will watch it again – worth being kept as a physical disk
- copy – good movie will/might watch it again – worth copying it to a PC hard drive
- toss – good to crappy movie probably won’t watch it again (or know I won’t) – get rid of it
For the time being I’ve been working my way through the individual movies collection, as the series are a whole different ballgame.
And, I just had a big instalment of movies leaving the house 🙂 All counted up, they amounted to 50 movies out-the-door!
Now, you are wondering, did I actually watch all those 50 movies? I can answer that with a resounding NO, I did not 🙂
After having watched a few pretty bad movies, I started to get more selective on who would make the cut, even just to watch, and a lot did not pass that little test. Then during my living room packing party, I had one day where I got into a bit of a ruthless tossing mode, and out a few more went.
Since my intention is to half my original collection, I still have a few more to go through. But I thought 50 out-the-door, was worth celebrating 😉
We are halfway into January, and you’re wondering, do I have any plans for 2015?
Yes, off course 🙂
I have plans within the areas of decluttering, finance, exercise and life in general! Why don’t you let me tell you all about it 😉
In 2014, the focus was mostly on decluttering, and I’m afraid I still have ways to go 😦 Seems like decluttering and getting less stuff, inspires me to want less and less. So I will continue this in 2015. Last years goal was to declutter one item a day (365 items) and I far succeeded that, so I thought maybe I should try that one, one more time.. I think it will be harder this year to find the 365 items, but I’m sure gonna try 😉
I don’t know if you remember! Just like I’m reading myself out of my bookshelf, I’ve decided to watch myself out of my movie collection, and I also have this big, actually huge, photo project which I mentioned for you guys in November, that I will be spending time on this year.
My declutter goals for 2015;
- 365 items
- 100 Movies – that’s half of my collection
- Cut my physical DVD series collection by 30% (yeah, that’s a lot, I have a lot, a lot of series)
- 34 books – I did 82 or something like that, out-the-door last year, but now I’m getting into more of the books I love…
- Photo collection – oh lord… I can’t even tell you what my goal is for this year! Half maybe?
My overall goal is to keep key photos as physical photos, scan the other ones I’d like to have access to, and get rid of the rest. Now having several thousand photos, this is a task that will take time, and most likely spill over into 2016…
Only buying necessities
My focus last year on only buying necessities ( I want, I want – I want it now!!!) served me very well, as I had to spend quite a bit on medical treatments instead. It served me so well, I think I’d like to continue the focus this year. But with a small change compared to last years – I will add an allowance;
- Books – I can still buy up to 10 books/magazines – preferable as e-books
- Eating out – We did pretty good last year – we will try to squeeze even more this year, by reducing another 25% on last years results.
- Flowers and plants – stay at the same level of last years result
- New allowance: I can buy up to 10 non essentials throughout the year 🙂
Other financial goals
Last year I managed to pay off my car (a few months early) and I’m pretty happy with that 🙂 My ultimate goal on the other hand, is to have my house mortgage paid off, in 16 years or less, compared to the 25 it was originally. I’m 7 years in and have almost halved the mortgage so far, which is phenomenal! But it’s getting harder now that I’m on a severely reduced pay due to not working so much. Every January I pay a lump sum towards the mortgage, so my goal for 2015 is to save up 60 000 NOK for my lump sum in January 2016. If I manage that on my reduced pay, I’m doing very well.
Activity and exercise
Due to illness I have not been the most active person the last few years, every time I think I’m ready to start exercising, I’ve managed to screw that up somehow, and I’ve gotten worse again. Now on the other hand, I’m feeling better than ever and I think it’s time to give it another shot. But this time around I’m going to be careful about it and take my time!!!
The goal for this year is to build up to, by the end of the year: 7 days of activity a week, with 3 of these as real workouts.
- By activity I mean something that gets me up and going and preferable out of the house, like a walk in the neighbour hood, work in the yard, run around playing with kids… just about anything that gets me out of that couch, gives me some fresh air, and brings me into a moving state 😉
- With real workout I mean an activity like for example going to the gym, yoga, biking, running, Rollerblade … you get the drift.
Other activities/projects this year
I have a few other things on my agenda 🙂 Like; travel, projects in my yard, other projects, throw a garden party, ++
But these, I think I’ll tell you more about, as we move into the year 😉
So that’s it for my 2015 goals… enough don’t you think?
I can’t believe where the month of November went. Seriously if feels like it’s only a few days since I wrote up October tally, and now November is over. I swear the days have wheels attached to them, because I sure can’t catch up.
So how did I do in the month of November (that I’m sure was only 8 days long 😉 ).
NOVEMBER TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 23 items!
- 1 bead bracelet
- 14 KLM Delft Blue Miniature houses – shipped to a friend in – A Tiny Village 2
- 3 DVD’s – part of my Watch a movie program declutter project
- 1 down duvet – that I am still debating if there is anything I can use it for, rather than “toss” it – any good ideas out there?
In addition, my neighbours mum popped over for a cup of tea, and while she was here it turns out that a couple of the clothing I was planning on getting rid of worked out for her. So she “ran” out of here with:
- 1 pair of running shoes
- 2 scarf’s
- 1 pair of pink super soft socks, that just never fit me 😦
So there it is, 23 items out-the-door for the month of November.
P.S I’m still sitting on this pile of things, waiting for my neighbour to have a look, that I was hoping would count in November.. guess the pile is making it to the December tally instead!
Have I stayed within my allotted 1 hour a day? Hmm, probably not quite. Have I stopped hanging in front of the TV all day, absolutely!
Remember about three weeks ago, I decided I needed to do something about my TV time? And I did! The first couple of weeks I did really well, I more or less stayed within my allotted hour, some days the TV never came on, and sometimes I watched a couple of programs rather than just one. But on average, probably no more than 1 hour a day. Which was my goal!
This last week though, there’s been a slight change, and mostly because I have added another small declutter project to the mix 🙂
As you probably know, I started this year with an intention to read myself out of my bookshelves, and this have so far been a pretty successful endeavour. I though I could take a cue from this, and try a similar thing with my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.
I’ve decided to watch myself out of my movie collection. This means, I will go through my movies one after another, watch it one more time, then decide which one of these categories it falls into:
- keep – great movie will watch it again – worth being kept as a physical disk
- copy – good movie will/might watch it again – worth copying it to a PC hard drive
- toss – good to crap movie probably won’t watch it again (or know I won’t) – get rid of it
Now, I know this will play a little havoc with my TV time. But since I’m doing this with a friend, it will mostly be weekend watching, not a day to day thing 😉
Sounds like a fun project, yes?
Counting them, I probably have around 200 movies, which are movies and not series. Some of them are really old, and some are really crappy – you will probably have a laugh when you see pictures of them – so hopefully it won’t be to hard to cut down a little on my movie collection.
My biggest challenge when it comes to cutting down the amount of DVD/Blu-Rays are my series collection. Not sure how to handle those yet. You see, I have collected a few series over the years, especially sci-fi series, that I kinda would like to keep. Most of them are in CD/DVD albums, so they don’t eat all that much space. Hopefully when I get good a getting rid of movies, I can start chipping away at the series as well. We will have to get back to that…
But we were talking about movies! So far we have watched 4 movies, or rather watched 3 movies, one was so bad we couldn’t stand to watch more than the first 5 minutes 😉
Result? 3 out-the-door and 1 maaaaybe copy (probably not).