In 2009, after having lived in the US for two years, I came home with enough stuff to fill up a entire house (after having furnished an empty condo in Houston), and I already had a house full. Since then I have slowly but surely gotten rid of stuff, and I’ve dwindled it down to one household again. But as good as I had been at it, I felt that there was still more that could go out of the house. Which is why I decided a year ago that I would make 2014 a year to declutter and living with less.
And to be accountable – I started this blog 🙂
I decided my main goal, would be to get rid of an average of at least one item a day, all through 2014 – yepp, 365 items!
I also made a second goal, a promise in my post I want. I want – I want it now!!! – to make an effort to buy only necessities, needs rather than wants.
Have I managed what I set out to do? The short answer – YES!
So here it is – my MAIN goal;
2014 tally of items out-the-door – 634 items, 2200 bookmarks and 14485 emails 🙂
Curious about what items I shed? Check it out;
- January tally – 63 items
- February tally – 45 items, 2200 bookmarks and 2450 emails
- March tally – 12 items and 7535 emails
- April tally – 58 items and about 4500 emails
- May tally – 126 items
- June tally – 22 items
- July tally – 22 items
- August tally – 45 items
- September tally – 103 items
- October tally – 7 items
- November tally – 23 items
- December tally – 108 items
My second goal – only buying necessities;
I did better on this during 2014 than I did in 2013 (which was the first time I tried this). I replaced broken items, only if I had too. I used up before replacing or even did not replaced at all.
I did really good at not buying anything but necessities, until my trip to US in September, when I ended up buying some clothing I didn’t really strictly “need”. I do however have an excuse as my luggage was lost for several days, and I got sick of walking around in oversized men’s clothing that I had borrowed. So I caved and bought some ladies things 😉 And it’s not like the clothing won’t come in handy, when I wear out my older stuff…
Other than that, as far as I know, there are only a few other items I got, that were strictly not a necessity. 1 small box set I thought was really cute, that I really haven’t found a use for, yet! And then I got a a few cheap IKEA wine glasses for my birthday grill party, as I did not have enough glasses for the champagne toast! (thinking about it, I believe this could be considered a necessity 😉 )
I did have some allowances for the year! Things I could do and things I could get that aren’t really necessities;
Books – I could buy up to 10 books/magazines – I bought one physical book, and two or three e-books
Eating out – the goal was to cut down to half the amount of times we (a friend and I) eat out compared to 2013 – we didn’t quite manage, as we only cut 39% on times. But what we did manage was to cut the amount we spent, with more than 50%, which was ultimately the goal.
Flowers and plants – The goal for 2014 was to cut down to procuring less than half of what I normally would – Done 🙂 I did even better than half as I cut my procurement of plants for the garden closer to 70% compared to any other years.
So all in all, I would say that I passed my goals for 2014!
Did I pass with flying colours? Hmmm, probably not, I’m sure I could have done better, but I’m pretty happy 🙂
I can’t believe it’s almost the end of the month already. As we all know, December is the month of Christmas. With all the preparation and celebration, that entails, it doesn’t really leave much time for any other activities.
Since tomorrow is new years eve, I kinda figured I won’t be decluttering any significant stuff these last to days. So I decided to post Decembers tally early 😉
And here it is. DECEMBERS TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 108 items!
6 items – during My Christmas shed
- 2 shirts
- 1 cardigan
- 1 sweater
- 1 vest
- 1 painting
90 items – that I had been holding on for my neighbour to check first – In finally out of here
- 2 magazine holders
- 3 microwave items
- 1 ice cube tray
- 3 plastic boxes to store food in + a box of ziploc bags
- 1 serving tray
- 3 candle holders
- 1 pack of plastic spoons
- 1 pack of plastic straws (should be a hit with her kids)
- 2 wine openers
- 3 wine stoppers
- 1 huge sport drink reusable bottle
- 1 reusable lunch bag
- 1 small porcelain bowl
- 4 long stemmed wine glasses
- 1 tea box full of different teas
- 1 plastic box (the one with an X I’m keeping for now.. I have an idea and if it works I’ll post about it 🙂 )
- 1 cut board
- 1 decorative glass bowl
- 1 tiny shots glass
- Bunch of rubber band (bracelets) – count as 1
- 7 watches (she took a couple for her kids)
- 18 Christmas decoration items
- 1 box of decorative tiny apples (Christmas stuff)
- 3 bean babies
- 1 head light
- 1 big storage box (all the stuff she took with her fit in the box – it’s that big 🙂 )
- 1 pair of running shoes (another friend took earlier)
- 2 medium size storage boxes (perfect for her kids toys)
- 1 pair of jeans
- 6 bras
- 7 pantyhose
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 short sleeved bicycle tops
- 1 pair of shorts
- 1 pair of dress pants
- 1 t-shirt
- 1 sleep shorts
So there you have it – 108 items out-the-door for the month of December!
So does this bring me to the goal I set at the start of this year? Stay tuned and find out 😉
I can’t believe where the month of November went. Seriously if feels like it’s only a few days since I wrote up October tally, and now November is over. I swear the days have wheels attached to them, because I sure can’t catch up.
So how did I do in the month of November (that I’m sure was only 8 days long 😉 ).
NOVEMBER TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 23 items!
- 1 bead bracelet
- 14 KLM Delft Blue Miniature houses – shipped to a friend in – A Tiny Village 2
- 3 DVD’s – part of my Watch a movie program declutter project
- 1 down duvet – that I am still debating if there is anything I can use it for, rather than “toss” it – any good ideas out there?
In addition, my neighbours mum popped over for a cup of tea, and while she was here it turns out that a couple of the clothing I was planning on getting rid of worked out for her. So she “ran” out of here with:
- 1 pair of running shoes
- 2 scarf’s
- 1 pair of pink super soft socks, that just never fit me 😦
So there it is, 23 items out-the-door for the month of November.
P.S I’m still sitting on this pile of things, waiting for my neighbour to have a look, that I was hoping would count in November.. guess the pile is making it to the December tally instead!
It’s that time again! That monthly catch up to let you know how I did with my decluttering task last month. And I have to say, I did appalling. As you have probably noticed there wasn’t one single post about things going out-the-door, in the whole month of October, with maybe the exception of my post about shedding some TV time.
That don’t mean that there wasn’t the occasional thing going out-the-door, it just means I didn’t ever get around to write about it, or remember to take pictures of it before it was gone.
It’s hard to remember what all those things was right now, but some of the items I decluttered was:
– papers, magazines and stuff like that, that I’ve been holding on too for a long time = 2 big paper bags worth – count as 1
– stuff in my outdoor storage boxes, and outdoor storage room – like wood, piping, plastic pieces, paint cloth, paint brushes, plastic plant pots and I’m sure.. a few more things. What count to give them? Hmmm.. why don’t we say 1 count per category I remember I was tossing out, that seems kinda fair, since I can’t really prove to you what went out the door – count as 6 items
And then there’s is the stuff I’ve been decluttering out of different rooms in the house, but that are still “stored” in my guest room (for my neighbour to check out before it leaves the house). Those things I will be writing about as they leave the house permanently (hopefully during the month of November)
OCTOBER TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 7 items!
Not good, I know.. but I’ll do much better in November, I’m sure, now that I’m done with my kitchen project 😉
It’s that time again! That monthly catch up to let you know how I did with my decluttering task last month 🙂
So how did I do? Well, actually not to bad for a change. Much better than the last few months.
SEPTEMBER TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 103 items!
81 – items on my – Another crazy purge! And a very happy neighbour. – day!
- 5 notebooks
- 2 “baskets”
- 1 furry pillowcase
- 1 furry blanket
- 1 wool carpet
- 1 file organizer
- 1 Ikea storage box
- 40 hangers – counted as 1
- 4 packs of hanging “lamps”
- 1 empty tea box
- 1 roll of stretchable wire
- 1 wineglass box
- 3 presentation portfolios
- 2 packs of table decorations
- 1 sauté pan
- 2 purple pillowcases
- 2 large candles
- 1 glass container for candles or flowers
- 1 picture from Virgin Islands
- 6 cloth place mats
- 6 plastic place mats
- 4 Texas cloth napkins – counted a 1
- 1 plastic table runner
- 1 red cloth pot holder
- 2 green glasses
- 1 bag of decorative rocks
- 1 glass soap dispenser
- 1 bamboo plate
- 2 more large candles
- 4 bags of decorative stones
- 6 white wine glasses
- 6 red wine glasses
- 2 camping chairs
- 4 flowerpots
- 2 glass plant watering things
- 1 outdoor recliner
- 2 big floor flowerpots
What else? Lets see – there was:
- 15 KLM Delft Blue Miniature Houses – that I gave to a friend in – A Tiny Village
- 1 garden storage box – as part of my – Garden give aways! – together with
- 3 flowerpots
- 2 trays for the flowerpots
- and one of my Hydrangeas
Now… There is just one thing! As you know, I’ve just had a birthday and as part of having a birthday I added some items to my possession. Between the birthday celebration in Stavanger late August which I told you about in – I’ve been partying 😉 and my celebration trip to Houston (where my suitcase also got lost for a few days) written about in – What I gained this trip – a few items have made it in-the-door!
Let’s see… oh my gosh it’s – 33 items in-the-door!!!
Stavanger party – 6 items in-the-door
- 1 Birdhouse w/seeds
- 1 decorative glass elephant
- 2 small decorative candle holders – counted as 1 since it was a set
- 1 notebook + sticky notes – counted as 1 since it was a set
- 1 pink IKEA box that the “birdhouse” gift came in
- 1 garden book
- Bunch of champagne bottles, but they don’t count as we drank them 😉
- and a bunch of birthday cards – think I’ll count them together with the ones I got in Houston
Houston trip – 27 items in-the-door
- 8 T-shirts
- 1 shirt
- 2 bras
- 3 undies
- 2 sleep shorts
- 2 pair of jeans
- 5 books
- 2 notebooks
- 1 ring
- and a bunch of birthday cards
So… I got a question for you!
When items comes in-the-door, should these be offset against items out-the-door? (I kinda think so)
Or do should I get to keep my out-the-door items “intact” for my final count for the year? What do you think?
So let’s see, did I ever get anything out-the-door during the month of August?
Well yes, actually I did! Even though I’m still doing pretty poorly according to my intentions 😦
Remember; I did have a day earlier in August, where I got a few things out-the-door. And I tackled my “junk” drawer. And the last day of the month, a white tornado went through my house and I ended up with another pile of stuff that will be going out of the house over the next few days. Since that pile is still pretty much sitting here.. they won’t count much on August tally, but hopefully on September they will 😉
So lets see, what did August actually amount to?
AUGUST TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 45 items
24 – items on my day getting back on my declutter wagon
- 1 jacket
- 1 pair of pants
- 1 thermal underwear top
- 6 T-shirt
- 2 pairs of knitted wool socks
- 1 BIG piece of silk – bought in Malaysia in 1995, intending to have a dress made…. like that ever happened!
- 1 clutch
- 1 bed sheet that don’t fit any of my beds…?
- 1 pair of boots – they seemed like a good idea when I got them, but they’ve never been used…
- 1 book – Thor Heyerdal, the adventurer
- 2 software CDs never used
- 4 empty DVD boxes (count as 1)
- 1 pair of sandals – never used, what was I thinking with those heels!
- 1 plastic serving tray (broken)
- 1 almanac – 2010
- 1 shirt – dads – and
- 1 cardigan – dads – they won’t ever get used and it’s been almost 1,5 years, it’s time to let them go!
Bunch of items – while clearing my junk drawer – (count as 4)
- 1 wallet (worn out)
- 1 flash-light (broken)
- Several outdoor pieces (never used, and never will be used) – count as 1
- Loads of paper/menus/business cards ++ – count as 1
In addition I finally cleared out some of my toiletries, that I talked about like forever ago in Thriftiness getting in the way of decluttering – I gave most of it to mum 🙂
- 1 big box of hairspray
- 1 box of night cream
- 1 bottle of toner
- 1 bottle of serum
- 1 small bag of miscellaneous make-up/trial creams/++
- 1 bottle of massage oil (it was so old it went into the trash)
- Bunch of other stuff – count as 1
- 1 bottle of shampoo
- 1 bottle of conditioner
And a few things from my “white tornado” day have actually made it out-the-door 🙂
- 1 Backpack (a friend of mine, way more sporty than me – took this one, and cover and Adidas bag)
- 1 travel cover for backpack
- 1 Adidas bag
- 1 sports bag
- 3 pc bags
- 1 weight lift bar (given to a friend, who hopefully will use this more that I ever did 😉 )
So that’s it, for the month of August – 45 items. Not to shabby after all 😉
I have to admit, July was an appalling month when it comes to decluttering, which you probably have noticed, since I haven’t written about a single thing I shed.
So what have I been doing with myself in the month of July? Well as I wrote in the beginning of July, I was taking an hiatus to focus on my health.
So July month have been filled with trips to the osteopath, loads of rest, beautiful days in the garden and not to forget…
Loads and loads of time occupied with Molly, my furry friend 🙂 With her around I seemed to get “nothing” done. When I sat down to read, she wanted to play. When I worked outside in the yard, she hated being on a leash so I made “borders” so she could go loose, but I still needed to keep an eye on her whereabouts, just in case… When I ate, she wanted food. When I watched TV or had friends over, she wanted to “play” or go out for a walk, or was hungry or something.
So you can see why I got nothing done… right? 😉
Even so, when I think about it, there are actually a few things that have gone out-the-door in July… Not only have I not written about them, but mostly I have even forgotten to take pictures of them 😦
But let’s see if I can’t manage a small recap anyhow!
JULY TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 22 items
- 2 reasonable sized Boxwood plants in planters – 1 given to a neighbour, 1 given to my step-mum for her new cabin
- 8 plastic planters/pots – given to my neighbour
- 6 books – I’ve actually read 12 as part of my read a book program – but, I’m getting into some of my favourites and they are harder to part with… maybe next month 😉
- 1 roll of plastic flex pipe
- a bunch of small plastic plant pots – counted as 1 (no photo)
- 2 terracotta pots (no photo)
- bunch of plastic pipes leftover from earlier garden constructions – counted as 1 (no photo)
- bunch of wood bits and pieces leftover from earlier garden constructions – counted as 1 (no photo)
Let’s see… I think that was it.. I can’t believe I ended up with the same amount of items as in June! And NO it’s not a copy/paste error – it just turned out that way!
Hmm.. if I could part with one extra book, I could beat June tally… Nope, I don’t think so.. not quite yet, gotta think about it first 😉
So her we are – 22 items – just like June!
We are all in agreement that the month of June have been a bismal month for decluttering. But even though I haven’t written about them, there are a few things that have gone out-the-door anyhow!
So let’s see what this month have amounted to on the declutter scale:
JUNE TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 22 items
- 2 hanging baskets – given to my step-mum for her new cabin, including the
- 2 linings for the hanging baskets and the
- 2 hooks for the hanging baskets
- 1 big bag of shredded papers – I normally do a yearly shred after I’m done with the taxes (late shred this year)
- A bunch of kitchen drawers utensils no longer (or ever) in use – counted as 1
- 1 red empty leather notebook – also for my step-mum
- 1 toilet bag after dad
- Some outdated medication – counted as 1
- 1 indoor water fountain feature set
- 9 books – I’m still chugging away at my read a book program
- and another book that I read and gave to mum while I was in London in May – that I forgot to tell you about, but I’m counting it anyway 😉
Hey, this wasn’t quite as bad after all… for a non declutter month… 🙂
Well there it is, the month of May is over, and it’s time for my monthly tally.
If I may say so, I think the month of May have gone pretty OK when it comes to declutter items. Even though I had a week completely under the weather, and a week in London with more sightseeing than decluttering 🙂
Let’s see what this month have amounted to on the declutter scale:
MAY TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 126 items
53 – items when running amok in my guest room
- 9 snuggles (stuffed animals and bean babies)
- 1 empty computer box
- 1 empty camera lens filter box
- 1 PC “desk” to use in your lap
- 5 clothes storage “bags”
- 1 decorative plate
- 6 space bags
- 5 books
- 3 small paper pamphlets
- 6 Christmas decoration items
- 1 hanging shoe holder
- 2 eagle creek travel gear pieces
- 1 camera bag
- 1 dirty linen basket
- 1 decorative “garland”
- 1 gym “bag”
- 1 space saver set
- 1 travel journal
- 2 bathroom mats
- 1 shoulder strap for a bag I no longer have
- 1 bag of sticky carpet felt (to use under carpets to make them not slide)
- 1 hanging bag for cloths
54 – items from my closet cleanup
- 8 shorts – surf shorts and regular shorts
- 1 swim top
- 1 bikini bottom
- 2 knee length pants
- 1 bicycle t-shirt
- 1 pair of indoor “shoes”
- 4 office shirts
- 3 sweater
- 1 knitted hat
- 1 fleece buff
- 2 regular buffs
- 1 scarf Stockings – a bunch (counted as 1)
- 1 par of socks
- 3 of my dad’s ties
- 12 unused unmentionables
- 5 pairs of jeans – 2 worn, 3 unused (but sadly to small)
- 1 pair of office pants
- 1 top
- 1 T-shirt
- 1 knitted jacket
- 1 pair of insoles
- 1 belt
And that’s it. The out-the-door tally for MAY 🙂
Not to shabby…
Month four! Sorry it’s a bit late, I almost forgot about it for a second, but here it is 😉
Let’s see, what I have I been able to shed this month?
APRIL TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 58 items and about 4500 emails
- PC nicknack’s – I forgot to count out the items when I did this job, but what I can see from the picture I got rid off:
- 2 mouse
- 1 laptop hard-drive
- 1 wireless adapter
- 7 converters (Europe to US and the other way around) (count as 1)
- 1 Bluetooth headset
- 1 Apple charger station
- 1 FM radio sender
- Bunch of USB, firewire cables (count as 1)
- Bunch of other stuff I have no idea what was (count as 1)
- 2 bundles of sticks
- 18 books
- 1 bottle of port 😉
- 1 compact camera with chargers, extra batteries ++
- 1 handbag
- 8 clear plastic boxes
- 1 old broken cooking thermometer
- 15 vases and other flower related stuff
- 1 screwdriver set
- Around 4500 emails at my work mailbox (still working on the 5000 I promised)