We are getting awfully close to Easter, and spring seems to be nowhere in sight 😦
Even though everything green is waiting on warmer weather, we have had a few beautiful days. Days where you wake up to that thin layer of frost in the morning, but then the sun comes out, and the day turns into a perfect outdoor, lounging in the sun kinda day 🙂
So guess what… perfect time to start the garden season. And what better way to do that, than to do a bit of spring cleaning! So out came the pressure cleaner, wellies and work clothes 🙂
I have raised flowerbeds with
supposed to be white(ish) edges, that was in desperate need for a clean! Not only did the edge need a clean, it also needs a lick of paint… but I have to wait on warmer weather for that particular task.
To spruce up the place a little, I splurged on a tiny, tiny bit of yellow 🙂 and I got my begonia tubers (bulbs) into some soil, for them to sprout inside first. Oh yes, and before I forget.. guess what I found? This years first ladybug!
Maybe, it is almost spring after all…
I mentioned a few days ago that I’m doing a pseudo packing party. Mostly inspired by the realisation, after having participated in my step-mums house move, that I most likely still have a lot of stuff hiding in nooks and crannies, even after my decluttering effort the last year(s).
I decided there are a couple of questions I need to add to my regular decluttering rules, questions like;
- If I was to move to a different country or a smaller house, would this item be worth paying good money to have it moved, or would it fit in a smaller lifestyle?
- Would I keep this item if I myself had to physical carry/haul this over to the new place, with no help from anyone…
I don’t want to do a real packing party, like The Minimalists did, as I don’t want to cover up everything I own, and live in boxes (especially after the last few days), but I decided I want to do a smaller version, where I “pretend” I’m moving and therefore have to go through my stuff as if I was packing up for a move. And while I go through my stuff I will evaluate the items according to my regular declutter routine and add the questions above to the mix!
All round better me – one of our fellow bloggers – quickly asked me what it involves, joining my “packing party”!
My original plan was to just “pretend (in my mind)” that I packed up room by room, and while I was going through my stuff I would use the questions above, hoping that that would make a few more things go out the door.
But, All round better me’s question made me stop up and think, that maybe I should do a “proper” job 🙂
So I have made a plan for my pretend packing party. Now! If there are anyone out there that wants to join me, you choose yourself what it is you want to join this “party” with. You can do a room, or a closet, or the cupboards (Therese?), or an area of your house or the whole house. Whatever area you feel you would like/need to give a once over 🙂
The key is – you need to empty the space you have chosen!
Since I’m doing most of the house, I’ve decided I need a plan, to keep it from becoming to overwhelming:
- I will do one room at the time
- I will not touch any of the furniture (the original packing party covered them all up, but I’m not going there)
- As with the furniture I will not touch the TV, cable, stereo ++ as it’s way to many cables to mess with…
- I’m not touching my books, as I’m doing those separately as part of my read a book program
- I’m not touching my photo collection as this is a whole project on its own
- I’m not buying any moving boxes or packing items. The idea is to get rid of thing, not have to buy anything to get that done. I will use boxes, bags, suitcases I already have, and I have “borrowed” some of my step-mums moving boxes. If I have no boxes to use, I will stack the stuff in piles, use plastic bags or whatever I have. The key is, if you are joining me, use whatever stuff you have to pack in 🙂
- I will store my “packed” items in a different room than the one I’m packing – if possible!
- I will pull things out of my cabinets and drawers and pack away everything that is not going to be used the first 48 hours.
- While I’m packing I will use my declutter system and ask the questions mentioned above
- I will only keep out the items I know I will use the next 48 hour (e.g toothbrush, clothing, cups and plates and so on)
- Then I will “sit back and relax” and enjoy my clear space for the next 48 hours. Why 48 hours? I’m thinking that that will give me just enough time to enjoy my empty space, and also contemplate on what I really want to put back in, when I unpack!
- Since the space is empty, I figured this is as good a time as ever, to do a proper spring clean! So maybe not so much relaxing after all 😉
- I will only put back the items I really want or absolutely need in that cleared space.
- Since I’m only putting back the things I really want or need, I’m sure I will have leftover items. These I sort through again
- Items I know I’m keeping that belong somewhere else, I will put where they belong. If that is in a room that is next on the list, I will still put it there, for me to go though again, together with that rooms stuff.
- Items I’m getting rid off, I will dispose of either as donate, sell or toss (recycle off course).
- Items I’m not sure about, I will keep packed up, put a future date on them, and store out of the way until that date and then get rid of anything I have not taken back out by then.
I’m lucky to have some long weekends I can use for this task, and I was planing on packing Fridays and unpacking Mondays!
Saturdays and Sundays will most likely be used in the garden as spring is finally on it’s way, and there are plenty, and I mean plenty of things to do outdoors 🙂
I thought the month of April would be a great time for this job! But, since I have a whole house to do, I will start as early as next weekend, and I’m starting in the bathroom!
Jump on in, any time, from now through April 🙂 And why not blog about it? Let me know, I’ll add your links to my posts 🙂
And remember! A great rule when you are trying to decide what stays and what goes:
Choose what to KEEP, not what to get rid of!
I can’t even begin to tell you what wonderful weather we have had here the last week, it feels like summer (actually, you never know, it might be our summer! )
In my post Spring cleaning a month ago, I cleaned up the wall around my raised flowerbeds. After this, my patio looked a little forlorn 😦 probably wondering if I had forgotten all about it.
Well I’m happy to say that with this great – and I mean GREAT weather – the perfect opportunity presented itself for a little patio TLC.
He never knew what hit him, before he had time to take a breath, he was stripped bare of furniture, plants and stuff.
One proper clean-up with cleaner and a pressure washer, and my patios hair was standing up in pure shock.
Well we couldn’t have any of that, could we! So next day when everything was dried, out came the sanding paper and my Black and Decker sanding mouse. Throw in a few hours of “elbow crease” and my patio was smooth as a baby’s bottom 😉
Fast forward a couple of days, and about 40 minutes ago I finished putting on the last lick of oil!
The patio is positively radiant! Happy as a clam, in mud at high tide 😉
And here it is! Before and after – and a couple of more, for good measures 😉
Month three! My gosh I thought I had spent February focusing on my digital clutter, but February don’t even hold a candle to the month of March.
Unfortunately, getting that focused on digital clutter, have taken away some of the focus on tangible decluttering, and it’s time I step it back up in the month of April!
Looking at my monthly tally this month, you’d think I’ve done nothing. I might not have been decluttering to much, but I have still been up to a couple of things 🙂
MARCH TALLY of things “out-the-door” = 12 items and 7535 emails
- 1 ice cream spoon
- 1 leather vest
- 10 bottles of hotel “candy“
- 7535 emails at my work mailbox
So what else have I’ve been up to? Well let’s see, there is:
- Cheating on Spring early this month with a lot of plants at the front area
- The Liebster award 🙂 I still can’t believe it..
- Starting the spring cleaning in the yard.
- Unpacking my garden furniture,
I love spring! That time of year when the days are starting to get a little longer, the plants are slowly starting to come alive, and the weather clears up with a few nice days, here and there!
Even though it is still cold outside, there is warmth to the sun, and if you find a secluded corner, it gets nice and toasty 🙂
Sine the weather forecast is “promising” some fine weather the next few days, I thought it time to unpack the garden furniture. I love how putting out all the garden furniture, makes the outside suddenly look like an extra “living room”. It makes the whole place look much friendlier and welcoming 🙂
I’ll be waiting for some warmer weather, before the furniture pillows comes out though 😉 Still, spring is here, furniture unpacked… woohoo!
We have had a couple of really nice days, and it feels like spring 🙂 It’s still cold outside, but the crocus are out, and it’s time to start the garden spring cleaning.
I have some raised flower beds, and the edges are painted white. Well actually, after the winter they are no longer quite as white, they are kinda green 😉
So out came the pressure washer, and now it looks much, much better! If the weather warms up a little, I might even be able to freshen the edge up with a lick of paint.
Looks better, wouldn’t you say?